I am always on the hunt for any excuse to eat cake for breakfast. And this might be the best way. It’s a fluffy coffee cake that uses greek yogurt as the main source of moisture and richness. It sounds a little unique, but trust me when I say yogurt cake will forever change how you think of breakfast.
The main ingredients for this cake are:
- all-purpose flour (you can use whole wheat!)
- greek yogurt
- maple syrup
- almond milk
Take all of those things, add some leveaners and of course some coffee, and you get an easy breakfast filled with affordable, wholesome and nutritious ingredients. Ok I’m done now, let’s get to baking…
Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 90g
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp almond milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, espresso powder, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, almond milk, maple syurp and vanilla. It won’t fully combine, but don’t sweat it too much.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to get a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into an 8×8′ baking sheet. Mix together the ingredients for the streusel topping and pour evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350F. While it is baking, whisk together the ingredients for the optional glaze.
- Let the cake cool for about 10-20 minutes out of the oven. Top with the glaze and enjoy!