Spaghetti squash….should be spaghetti shaped right? Well, this recipe takes that and turns it on its head. Because I loooovvvve squash, but I have never had the easiest time with spaghettifying spaghetti squash. I either overcook it and it turns in to squash-mush, or I undercook it and I’m left with crunchy strands. Even when I cook it just right, I still feel like it never hits the spot for me?
But I love butternut squash, and I adore acorn squash, and don’t even get me STARTED on my obsession with the tiny adorable honey nut squash. So I thought, lost in a sea of fall vegetables, why can’t I learn to love spaghetti squash?
And that’s when I realized with the mild flavor of spaghetti squash, that makes it perfect for some crunchy-exterior action. And that’s where the nutritional yeast came in. With it’s cheesy umami flavor, it felt like the perfect addition to coat my spaghetti squash. Easily turning one of my most loathed vegetables into one of my new favorites.
Since this recipe turns the squash into nugget form, it also makes it a great vegan snack to have on hand, and a great choice for kids or picky eaters to get in some veg. The coating of the nutritional yeast jam packs this dish with vitamins and protein (did you know nutritional yeast is protein powerhouse?) and makes it the perfect filling side dish for any meal.
Here are a few tips for cutting and coating the squash:
- Cut length wise first, Remove the seeds and then cut down the squash making little half circles. You can then cut off the skin and cube the squash.
- I coated my cubes one by one, but if you’re short on time, first toss them in a little olive oil and then add the nutritional yeast + spices, it works magic!
- If you are going for extra crispy, feel free to up your baking time by 5-10 minutes and flip the squash halfway through, it will also help you get that golden color!
- Don’t be afraid to try this with different types of squash, I did spaghetti here but it works wonderfully with other types of more savory-tasting squashes!
Crispy Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash cubed
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Mix together the nutritional yeast, papriaka, and salt. Roll the cubes of spaghetti squash in the nutritional yeast mixture until every piece is covered.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 425F for 25-30 minutes.