This Tofu Nuggets recipe went viral out of nowhere, and honestly, for good reason!
This is the only crispy breaded tofu recipe I’ve seen that is gluten-free, vegan, doesn’t require pressing your tofu, is no mess, no fuss, no pan searing, no deep frying. Just a few ingredients and an over or air fryer are all you need!
What is nutritional yeast?
I love this recipe because it uses my godsend favorite ingredient, nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy, umami flavor that you can’t get anywhere else. It makes this tofu recipe perfect for nuggets, a tofu sandwich, meal prepping, easy lunches, quick dinners and anything in between. We’re tofu stans here.
Yes! Use the same temperature and time for an air fryer and you’ll come out with perfectly crispy tofu nuggets.
Nope! The moisture on the outside of the tofu will make the dry ingredients stick. Plus, it keeps this recipe vegan.
Allowing the tofu to keep its moisture ensures you don’t come out with dry, tough nuggets. They will be more tender after they come out of the oven if they still hold some moisture!
Looking for similar crispy tofu recipes?
And that’s everything for these Tofu Nuggets!
And of course feel free to leave any questions, comments or reviews! This is the best place to reach me, and I’d love to hear from you <3
- Air fryer
- Baking sheet
- 6 ounces extra firm tofu drained and patted dry, but not pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon each of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- No need to press your tofu for this. Keep the tofu pretty moist, just drain and lightly pat with a paper towel, and then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a small plate or bowl, mix together the nutritional yeast and spices, then press every side of your tofu cubes into the seasoning until it’s well coated.
- Put your cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 25 minutes or until they are nice and crispy!
- If you are using an air fryer, use the same heat and time.
- Let them cool a bit and then they will peel right off of the parchment paper. Serve and enjoy!