It is no secret that I love pumpkin. I love it as an ingredient, I love it as a vegan sub, I love it just as a fruit in general – but what I don’t love is that it’s often seen as only an ingredient for sweet recipes, when really it can be an AMAZING ingredient in savory recipes!
It can also be an AMAZING tool for baking – case in point, these spicy pumpkin flatbreads. These use pumpkin as the main binding source and they help create the fluffiest and chewiest texture. Add some red pepper flakes for spice and you have a fantastic (and easy!) bread recipe.
Spicy Pumpkin Flatbreads
- 1 cup all-purpose flour about 120g, plus some for rolling out
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp whole milk plain yogurt vegan yogurt also works here
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, rosemary, thyme, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add the pumpkin and yogurt and mix into a rough dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Then cut it into 4 even pieces and roll out on a floured surface, forming them into circles with a rolling pin. The dough will be delicate so add flour as needed when rolling it out.
- Then in a pan on medium-high heat, griddle each flatbread in oil, flipping when large bubbles form and the flatbread is golden brown.
- Serve warm!