This IS a blondie recipe, but it uses espresso, so does that make it a… dirty blondie? Either way, it’s a delicious (and easy, and vegan!) blondie bar.
It has that classic crispy top and gooey middle, coupled with the espresso flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the batter. Add a lil coffee and I guess that makes this espresso blondie a Red Eye blondie – AKA a caffeinated dessert, who doesn’t love that?
Watch the recipe video here:
Red Eye Blondies
These start as a blondie recipe, but the addition of espresso powder and coffee extract quickly turn them into an almost-brownie? So maybe an espresso dirty-blondie? The jury is still out. But they are moist and delicious with a crispy top, an absolute dream for any caffeine addict!
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 180g
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup and 1 tbsp miyokos vegan butter or unsalted butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup espresso
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- ½ cup 72% dark chocolate roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375F, then whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until a thick batter forms. Pour in the espresso and mix well.
- Sprinkle in the instant coffee powder and chocolate chips and fold to combine.
- Smooth out the batter in a parchment lined 8×8 baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- This will make about 16-20 bars.