This was my first Trader Joe’s remake of all time, and I still love this recipe so much. And the beauty is that this recipe doesn’t need to be complicated. You don’t need potato starch and arrowroot flour and xantham gum to make perfectly pillowy gnocchi. All you need is cauliflower, some cornstarch, some flour, one egg and a little technique.
It’s fun to do on the weekend and freeze to save for an easy weeknight meal. Or you can just eat it all at once, definitely no judgements here 😉
Homemade Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Blender or food processor
- Small Pot
- Plastic wrap
- 250 grams cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour about 250 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Boil the cauliflower until fork tender, about 7-8 minutes. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the water you boiled it in.
- In a blender add the cauliflower and the 1/4 cup of water from the pot. Blend until smooth. You want this to be the texture of mashed potatoes, but not too watery.
- In a bowl, add your flour and cornstarch and whisk together. Make a well in the center of the flour and add in the egg and 1 cup of the cauliflower mash.
- Gradually whisk the flour in with the egg and cauliflower, until you for a rough dough. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, cut into four equal pieces and roll them out into long tubes, about 12-18 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Now you can either boil them until they float, or bag and freeze them for a later date.