Ok ok ok, so Carbone is a restaurant that took NYC by STORM in 2020, probably because it only has 20 seats and Ariana Grande ate there once or something? But then when quarantine hit, they unveiled their spicy rigatoni pasta recipe and the crowd. went. nuts. (and when I refer to the crowd, I mean New Yorkers trapped at home, but you get the idea).
So of course, as with all viral recipes, I had to put my own spin on it. And that’s where this toast came in. Now don’t get me wrong, I love pasta, but I wanted to turn this viral recipe into something that might work as a quick snack or a light lunch. Something that is veggie-centric, full of flavor and could easily become vegan, dairy free or gluten free.
And damn, does this toast deliver. You get all of the creaminess and spiciness from the past sauce, but with soft onions as a base and ricotta as the spread, you still get a filling serving of vegetables and some protein from the cheese. Plus you can also sub in vegan ricotta (My recipe is here) for an extra serving of plant-based protein. All in all a delicious (and sneakily nutritious) lunch or dinner!
Carbone Spicy Rigatoni Toast
- Medium sized pan
- 1/2 large yellow onion about 150g, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp grated parmesan
- 1 large piece toast
- Put your pan on medium heat, pour in the oil and add onion, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Then add in the minced garlic and cook until it is browned. Add in the tomato paste and mix until the onions and garlic are fully covered, then pour in the milk gradually, mixing until creamy.
- This might get thick so thin it out with milk or water as desired. Then mix in red pepper flakes and more salt/pepper to taste.
- Toast your bread and then add the onion mixture to the top. Top with fresh parsley and grated parmesan. Serve warm!